Commissioner for Oaths

Commissioners for Oaths in the Province of Alberta can administer oaths and take and receive affidavits, affirmations and declarations in and for Alberta only. Commissioning of documents is usually a walk-in service; however, you may wish to call 780-929-8782 1 hour prior to visiting our office to ensure a Commissioner is available to meet with you. This service is available at the Town Office between 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday (excluding statutory holidays).


The Commissioners for Oaths fee is $25 per Affidavit and/or Statutory Declaration as per Bylaw 868-16. Payment is due when services are rendered.

Preparation for Commissioning Documents

  • Bring photo identification
  • Have your paperwork completed
  • Bring any required exhibits
  • Provide your own translator, if required
  • Provide your own witness
  • Be prepared to sign all documentation in the presence of the Commissioner for Oaths at the time the oath is given.
Please note, if your paperwork requires a witness to your signature, your witness must be present with you to complete the Affidavit of Execution. If your paperwork requires your witness personally know you, please ensure the witness is someone who is acquainted with you. Town staff is not required to witness Affidavits for the public and reserves the right to refuse. It is recommended you bring your own witness. A Commissioner for Oaths is not the same as a witness.

Legal Specifics

Commissioners for Oaths are not authorized to do types of work usually done by lawyers, nor do they have the same powers as a Notary Public. They cannot provide legal advice or answer questions about your documentation, nor can they perform actions such as completion or alteration of your documentation. The Commissioner for Oaths will not commission incomplete paperwork.

Commissioners for Oaths must ensure that they restrict the use of the appointments to those powers set out in the Notaries and Commissioners Act.

Services Requiring the Service of a Notary Public

The following list of documents requires the services of a Notary Public or a lawyer.
  • Consent letters for minors traveling abroad
  • Maintenance Enforcement forms
  • Passport documentation, please consult Passport Canada
  • Documents dealing with waiving rights under the Dower Act
  • Insurance documents requiring the waiving of rights
  • Documents to be used outside of the Province of Alberta, for instance, Canada Pension
  • Verification documents or most documents for the Government of Canada
  • Business documents, contracts and property deeds
  • Documentation requesting certified true copies
  • Documentation without an oath or a jurat
Please note: If at any time the Town's Commissioner for Oaths is unsure of the documentation provided, or uncomfortable with administering the oath, the Town reserves the right to refuse this service.