In response to the recent pandemic surrounding the COVID-19 virus, the City of Beaumont is temporarily adjusting their installation procedure to keep operators and builders safe. Until further notice:
Beaumont Public Works new Water Permit Process becomes effective April 8, 2019.
Highlights of requirements:
These are the requirements expected by Beaumont for every water meter installation within the City’s jurisdiction.
Water meters are important instruments used by Beaumont to track water consumption; and, charge an accurate rate of water usage. Water meter installation is recommended during the construction phase and must be completed prior to occupancy of the building.
Reminder: Any water consumption recorded on the water meter before possession date will not be charged to the builder. It is considered construction water. The construction water charge the builder pays at the time of building permit application covers this usage.
A Water Meter Request Permit must be completed and submitted to Beaumont Public Works via email to:
- WaterandWastewater "at" beaumont.ab.ca (replace "at" with symbol @) for approval prior to booking any appointment.
Permits must be submitted prior to occupancy:
- Thirty (30) days for Commercial, Industrial and Multi-family installs,
- Fifteen (15) days for Single Family Residential, Condominiums and Row/Townhouses
IMPORTANT: Water Meter(s) must be installed prior to requesting an Occupancy Inspection.
A building is ready for a new water meter installation when:
- The service line has passed all necessary tests and procedures according to Beaumont new water line commissioning guidelines, for commercial, industrial and/or multi-family installs.
- The service line has been flushed and free of any sediment or rocks.
- The building is heated to prevent freezing of water lines and the water meter.
- Backflow preventer and fire protection system must be installed for commercial, industrial and multi-family installs.
- Water is turned on to the meter setting so the water meter can be tested for leaks after installation.
- The water meter setting meets Beaumont Water Meter Setting Standards and Guidelines.
Water Meter Setting Standards and Guidelines
(click on below Schematic Number and download applicable PDF)
|WM001||Single Water Meter Setting, No Fire Protection and No Backflow Preventer Schematic||March 2019|
|WM002||Single Water Meter Setting with Backflow Preventer and no Fire Protection Schematic||March 2019|
|WM003||Single Water Meter Setting with Fire Protection, Backflow Preventers and No Bypass Schematic||March 2019|
|WM004||Water Meter Settings with a Single Domestic Service and Irrigation/Rink Service with Backflow Preventers Schematic||March 2019|
|WM005||Water Meter Bank Settings with Fire Protection and Backflow Preventers Schematic||March 2019|
|WM006||Water Meter Settings with a Horizontal Bypass, Fire Protection and Backflow Preventers Schematic||March 2019|
|WM007||Water Meter Settings with a Vertical Bypass, Fire Protection and Backflow Preventers Schematic||March 2019|
Complete the below form and email to WaterandWastewater "at" Beaumont.ab.ca (replace "at" with the symbol @) for approval.
The below Permit form is a fillable PDF document. In order to complete this document it must be saved or downloaded FIRST (i.e. prior to filling our the form) or opened in a specific computer or mobile application (such as Adobe Acrobat or Xodo). Note: if the fields cannot be clicked on and edited, you are not viewing it in the correct format. Beaumont needs it to be filled out in the correct format so we can continue to fill out the form. Do not fill out form using pen/pencil. Save and email file to email noted above. Thank you.
IMPORTANT: only typewritten electronic PDF will be accepted. No photo or handwritten application will be accepted.
- For commercial, industrial and multi-family installs: The Water Meter Request Permit must be completed and submitted to Beaumont Water and Wastewater, Public Works no later than thirty (30) business days prior to occupancy date; to allow for water meter delivery from supplier. Reminder: A water meter must be installed before occupancy will be granted.
- For single family residential, condominiums and row/townhouse installs: The Water Meter Request Permit must be completed and submitted to Beaumont Operator, Public Works no later than fifteen (15) business days before expected occupancy date. A water meter must be installed before occupancy will be granted.
- Beaumont Operator, Public Works are available for water meter installations 9:00am-3:45pm Monday-Friday.
- If a plumber has installed the water meter 1 1/2" (40mm) or larger, an appointment needs to be setup with Beaumont Public Works so the water meter and bypass can be secured and tested.
- Beaumont Operator, Public Works will need access to the building. If the building is locked please provide a builder’s key, lockbox code, garage code or have an adult available to meet the Beaumont Operator at the site of the installation.
- If any of the Beaumont requirements are not met, the Beaumont Operator will refuse to install the water meter. If this occurs the builder will need to make another appointment and expect a charge for each subsequent visit by a Beaumont Operator.
- For current fees and charges refer to our Public Works Fees and Charges page.