Design Review Committee
The Design Review Committee is an external advisory committee that provides expert opinion and input on development applications. There are five external members on the committee, which is made up of:
- urban designers
- landscape architects
- members of the development industry
- the community at large
The committee reviews applications that:
- do not meet a minimum of 75% of the essential design elements, as defined in the guidelines; or
- are unconventional and require a variance from the guidelines and the Land Use Bylaw.
This committee is a voluntary, skills-based panel that provides expert and impartial design advice on proposed developments. The committee makes their recommendations to City staff, who then incorporate the recommendations into their decisions. The committee may also provide feedback on new and revised urban design policy in City-led initiatives.
Committee appointments completed in summer 2021
The City of Beaumont accepted applications from urban design, architecture, planning, engineering, landscape architecture, development industry professionals and members of the community at large to join our Design Review Committee. Committee members are a critical part of the implementation of the Beaumont Urban Design Guidelines.
The ideal professional candidate had the following:
- Five or more years of professional experience in architecture, urban design, landscape architecture, engineering, or planning.
- Experience in design review and peer review for a variety of project scales and types including residential, commercial, institutional, mixed use, transit-oriented developments and public space design.
- Good working knowledge of the composition and character of the City of Beaumont and the Region that enables the member to make a positive contribution towards improving Beaumont’s built environment.
- The ability to work in a multi-disciplinary design review team.
The ideal member at large had the following:
- An interest in making our city more attractive and sustainable through the arrangement and design of buildings.
- Knowledgeable about accessibility and barrier free design from either professional experience or their own lived experience.
- Is a community builder who is positive and passionate about the City of Beaumont.
- The ability to build consensus and collaborate in a team environment.
Appointments were made in August 2021.
More information on the Beaumont Urban Design Guidelines and the Design Review Committee can be found here.