December 14, 2021
Beaumont, AB – Beaumont City Council tonight approved a budget for 2022 that maintains service levels and makes targeted investments to address a growing population, enhance the quality of life for residents, and position the community for economic growth.
“Beaumont has a quality of life that is second to none. We’re the safest community in Alberta, set in a beautiful location with many opportunities for recreation and culture,” said Mayor Bill Daneluik. “This is a fiscally responsible budget that maintains everything that makes Beaumont a great place to live, keeps the city running without any reductions to services or staff, and supports enhancements to key priorities, such as the arts, youth, the wellbeing of our residents, and the health of our local economy.”
The approved tax levy increase of 2.4 per cent includes the City’s share of a federally negotiated salary agreement with RCMP – the equivalent of a 1.4 per cent increase. The owner of a typical home assessed at $420,000 will pay $73.47 - $6.12 per month - more for municipal property taxes in 2022.
Utility rates will increase $10.03 per month for the typical home, reflecting the cost of services passed on by regional utility commissions, incorporating costs of stormwater drainage into utilities, and allocations for the replacement of utility infrastructure. There were no changes to franchise fees on electricity or natural gas.
The 2022 budget supports several initiatives for next year, including:
- Recruitment of a cultural inclusion coordinator to support under-served and marginalized people who call Beaumont home.
- Resources and funding to support the growth of local business, attract investment to Beaumont, and move development of the Innovation Park forward.
- A phased-in increase for community grants to meet the City’s policy for arts funding.
- A Green Shack pilot project for outdoor youth recreation during the summer.
- Capital investments to renew neighbourhood infrastructure, such as playgrounds, streets, sidewalks; replace the aging Bellevue outdoor rink; and begin planning for a water recirculation system at the Four Seasons Spray Park.
Visit the City of Beaumont’s website for more 2022 budget details.