Town of Beaumont's approach to cannabis legalization
The Government of Canada has introduced legislation to legalize cannabis. There will be new federal, provincial and municipal processes for cannabis production, sale and consumption.
The legalization of cannabis will have many impacts. Town of Beaumont is reviewing federal and provincial direction and legislation as it becomes available, to help manage the legalization of cannabis in the best interest of our community.
Town of Beaumont role
The federal and provincial governments are determining the roles and responsibilities of municipalities in cannabis legalization.
Municipalities, including Town of Beaumont, still require details and further clarification from the federal and provincial government, in areas such as public health and education, law enforcement, taxation revenue distribution and facility access. Town of Beaumont may need to create or change various services, policies and bylaws to accommodate legalization.
Town of Beaumont is investigating how to best manage the legalization of cannabis in the best interests of our community. Please refer to beaumont.ab.ca/cannabis website for updated information on Cannabis.
Sharing information will be an important part of this process, including community dialogue.
Town of Beaumont’s next steps include:
- Gather information, including understanding how Alberta’s framework will be applied at the municipal level.
- Land Use, Smoking and Business Licence Bylaws for Town of Beaumont will be brought forward for approval once the final draft federal and provincial legislation is in place to legalize recreational cannabis (including defining the level of control municipalities will have).
- Review bylaws that will need to be amended to accommodate the legalization of cannabis including, but not limited to, the Land Use, Business Bylaws and the Smoking Bylaws.
Town of Beaumont is investigating its role in:
- Establishing cannabis retail stores
- Monitoring cannabis use in public
- Educating the public on legal cannabis use
Town of Beaumont Business
- Town of Beaumont is reviewing its Land Use Bylaw to address and place land use regulations on licensed cannabis growing, production, distribution and processing facilities, including consumption, to reflect changes in Provincial and Federal regulations.
- Over the next coming months, Town of Beaumont will engage stakeholders and coordinate with provincial and federal governments before implementing further Land Use Bylaw changes.
- All businesses must first obtain a development permit before operating in Town of Beaumont. We are currently reviewing our Land Use Bylaw.
Growing and processing medical cannabis
- All businesses must first obtain a development permit before operating in Town of Beaumont.
- Applicants must apply to the federal government for a licence and receive all the necessary approvals to become a licensed producer for medical purposes.